Tuesday 15 May 2007

Luke 7 - Jesus Raises a Widow's Son

11Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. 12As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out—the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. 13When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, "Don't cry."

14Then he went up and touched the coffin, and those carrying it stood still. He said, "Young man, I say to you, get up!" 15The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.

16They were all filled with awe and praised God. "A great prophet has appeared among us," they said. "God has come to help his people." 17This news about Jesus spread throughout Judea[a] and the surrounding country.


I noticed that all the way through Jesus is referred to by his name except in verse 13 where the title 'Lord' is used. It struck me as slightly weird and it was only when I looked up the meaning of Lord in Genesis 2 and its Yahweh, which according to wikipedia is "English reading of יהוה (the Tetragrammaton), the name of the God of the Jews or the people of Israel, as preserved in the original consonantal Hebrew Bible text."

I believe in this story God saw her and his heart went out to her. Notice it says Lord and then it says Jesus, I think this is a point in scripture where its clearly saying that God and Jesus are one and the same.

Again, I'm sure this is quite obvious to some, I'm just not one of them. ;)

No comments: