Friday 30 June 2006

Another one

One time when I was at Costessy middle school, we were having a music lesson, I had just joined, it was year 4 and I think I was 7 or 8. In this lesson we were learning about different instruments, the teacher (Mr Green) decided to use the song 'Music Man' to help us learn, you know the know that goes "I'm the music man I come from far away and I can play, "what can you play!?", I can play the piano!" You know the song. Anyway, in this lesson a lucky child was given the chance to introduce an instrument to the song and lead the class in the song. I waited and waited for my chance, every time someone else got it, or someone did one I had thought of, until finally I got my moment, and it went a little something like this:

Me - He's the music man and I come from down your way, and I can playeee
*music stops*
Mr Green - D, David? Is that your name?
Me - Yes it is
Mr Green do you actually know the words?
Me - I..erm…kinda
Mr Green - OK, so, what was your instrument going to be?
Me- A…guitar *looks at the floor*
Mr Green - Right, ok, everybody sing along
Class and Mr green - I'm the music man I come from far away and I can play, "what can you play?!" I play the guitar!
*music stops*
Mr Green - How do you play the guitar David?
(I froze at this point, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind, all I had been thinking about was choosing a 'cool' instument so Helen Leggett would think that I was cool!)

Me - Erm…
Mr Green - Think about it for a second and we'll start again
Class and Mr green - I'm the music man I come from far away and I can play, "what can you play?!" I play the guitar!
Mr Green - David!
Me - *playing bad air guitar* Grr gr grr gr grr guitar gr guitar gr guitar, Grr gr grr gr grr guitar gr gr gr guitar"

It was the longest 2 minutes of my life.
I was never picked for songs again.
Helen Leggett didn't think I was cool.
I am emotionally scared.


No comments: