Sunday 23 March 2008

The post easter sunday lunch post, the post post some may say...no, lets be honest, they wouldn't

So, I've just been watching the bbc version of The Passion and while I didn't really think much of it during my inital viewing earlier this week, I couldn't help but get choaked up watching it this afternoon.
At church this morning we did a song called See His Love by Tom Tom Lockley (or just Tom to his mother), [edit: actually check this one out] we had a choir singing with the band and did it in a sort of funk(ish) style (well, that's how it sounded in the practice anyway). The choir was amazing and really made the song, however, as much as I enjoyed the song, I couldn't help but feel the music, whatever style the song was played, was completely inadequate.

The chorus goes:

This is Jesus in His glory
King of Heaven dying for me
It is finished, He has done it
Death is beaten, Heaven beckons me

I think if you have a look at the link for the song you might know what I mean. It commands a response, "why do we celebrate Easter?" (Ian Savory this morning) because it commands a response.

As yet, my response has only been to gasp for my breath, to (when in the company of others) cough to cover up my involuntary vocal reaction to seeing a beaten man with a torn open back hanging nailed to a tree. It's big stuff and I say it again, it commands a response.

[Edit: And if I (you) need any further encouragement,



"
If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.
So Heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss,
And the heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don’t have time to maintain these regrets,
When I think about, the way he loves Us all."

No comments: